The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] KB3140768 cumulative update fail (windows update) Empty[ANSWERED] KB3140768 cumulative update fail (windows update)

more_horiz
Anyone got any hints or tips why the KB3140768 cumulative update fails with windows update. Every non-critical update works fine. Windows is having problems finalizing the updates and does a system roll-back afterwards.

These are the changes...

Microsoft: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3142015 MS16-023: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: March 8, 2016
[*]3142019 MS16-024: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: March 8, 2016
[*]3143148 MS16-026: Security update for graphic fonts to address remote code execution: March 8, 2016
[*]3143146 MS16-027: Security update for Windows media to address remote code execution: March 8, 2016
[*]3143081 MS16-028: Security update for Microsoft Windows PDF Library to address remote code execution: March 8, 2016
[*]3143136 MS16-030: Security update for Windows OLE to address remote code execution: March 8, 2016
[*]3143141 MS16-032: Security update for Secondary Logon to address elevation of privilege: March 8, 2016
[*]3143142 MS16-033: Security update for Windows USB mass storage class driver to address elevation of privilege: March 8, 2016
[*]3143145 MS16-034: Security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers to address elevation of privilege: March 8, 2016
[*]3141780 MS16-035: Security update for the .NET Framework to address security feature bypass

[*]Reddit: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[*]Improved support for Bluetooth, wearables, and apps accessing contacts.
[*]Improved reliability in app installation and Narrator.
[*]Improved performance for hibernation, content entry in apps, and downloading and installing updates.
[*]Fixed issue that didn't allow login to an Xbox from a PC running Windows 10.
[*]Fixed security issue created when attempting to play corrupted content.
[*]Fixed security issue that could allow remote code execution while viewing a PDF in Microsoft Edge.
[*]Fixed additional issues with .NET Framework, Internet Explorer 11, and networking.
[*]Fixed additional security issues with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, USB storage driver, kernel mode drivers, .NET Framework, graphic fonts, OLE, secondary logon, PDF library, and Adobe Flash Player.

[*]--
[*]Reviewing these updates I only can see an update for the Windows PDF library. I did remove PDF support from Modern Apps.
[*]For everything else I do not know. Did not remove critical components.
[*]Maybe Windows stores an log file somewhere but knowing Windows it probably states some cryptic error code.

Thanks.

description[ANSWERED] KB3140768 cumulative update fail (windows update) EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] KB3140768 cumulative update fail (windows update)

more_horiz
Hello,

Maybe this interesting information provided by Geekster will help you ... it seems to be a Microsoft bug.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I wish you to have a nice day !

description[ANSWERED] KB3140768 cumulative update fail (windows update) EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] KB3140768 cumulative update fail (windows update)

more_horiz
Hi.

That's right. I also have read the same thing. Still trying if I get anywhere with Winreducer. If it's a bug I will not get very far. There doesn't seem to be a solution just yet. I have googled about the problem and have some ideas why the update fails. Then I will rebuild windows again until it installs.

When I get some results I will post in both threads.

Thanks.

more_horiz
Great, thank you. Smile

I will work on all Updates Catalogs in the next days, so I will test this Win10 updates to see how this works.

more_horiz
Back again. Been building for several hours. Just a small progress update for now. Looks promising. Seems to be related to removed component or a combination of components.

To narrow down the specific problem still several builds to go. Also when found have to revert back to earlier builds if there  aren't any further conflicts.

A shame that the directions found on google took me the wrong way. :-(

more_horiz
Hi.

Went back adding several components. When I added Cortana the update worked again. After removing again it stopped working. Changing Cortana in a older wccf it still did not work. It seems there are more than one components that are the problem. Still looking...

more_horiz
Starting from scratch...

Removed - Media Center - Features... Testing... Works.
Removed - Accessoiries... Testing... Works.
Removed - Modern Apps... Testing... Works.
Removed - Control Panel... Testing... Works.
Removed - Drivers - Fonts - Keyboards - Languages... Don't work.
Removed - Drivers - Fonts - Keyboards - Dropped Languages... Don't work.
Removed - Drivers - Dropped Fonts - Dropped Keyboards... Don't work.
Removed - Dropped Drivers (Hyper-V)... Don't work.
Removed - Dropped Drivers (Network) - Dropped Drivers (Wireless)... Works.

Seems that the problem lies within the network drivers.
Not sure how to approach this one. Hopefully this next one will work too.

Removed - Wireless - Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell.
Removed - Ethernet - Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell Yukon... Don't work.
Removed - Ethernet - 4 more. (Strong feeling about)... Network Microsoft... Reducing...
Removed - Dropped Broadcom... Don't work.
Removed - Wireless - Dropped Ethernet... Don't work.
Removed - Dropped Wireless...
One by one...
- Ethernet - ASIX... Works.
- Ethernet - Atheros... Works.
- Ethernet - Broadcom... Works.
- Ethernet - Emulex... Works.
- Ethernet - Intel... Works.
- Ethernet - JMicron... Works.
- Ethernet - Marvell Yukon... Works.
- Ethernet - Mellanox... Works.
- Ethernet - Microsoft... Works.
- Ethernet - NVIDIA... Works.
- Ethernet - SIS... Works.
- Ethernet - VIA... Works.
- Wireless - Atheros... Works.
- Wireless - Broadcom... Works.
- Wireless - Intel... Works.
- Wireless - Marvell... Don't Work.
- Wireless - Ralink... Works.

Services...

- Black Viper's... Works.
- Optimize Drives Service... Works.
- Problem Reports and Solutions Service... Works.
- Program Compatibility Assistant Service... Works.
- Telephony... Testing.
- Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service... Testing.
- Windows Connect Service... Testing.
- Windows Biometric Service... Testing.

more_horiz
I must say that was a lot of testing until now...

Concluded:

First problem found with the KB3140768 cumulative update is...

Cortana

more_horiz
really nice work so far !

keep it up cheers

more_horiz
Thanks KrX...

After this is over then testing it again with my current build. I really hope that this is the final conflict that exists. I am 99 percent sure because it halted only within these categories and not further into the wccf.

And finally testing the same wccf with a x64 windows and probably the conflicts apply. Cross my fingers on both hands... Not worried that it will be a problem yet again. The x64 windows should have the same conflicts. Not expecting anything different.

more_horiz
Concluded:

Cortana

Second problem found is...

Wireless - Marvell

Seems that these two are the problem with installing the update. Made these changes in my current build and it's working fine.

more_horiz
nice finding Wink

and good that its working for you now

more_horiz
Third problem found. Went reducing a little bit further. After tinkering with services and a few components the update failed again. One more to track down.

Still trying to remove as much possible in windows 10 without breaking stuff. Seems that it got broken again.

more_horiz

Cortana

Second problem found is...

Wireless - Marvell

Third problem found is...

Application Experience (engine)
- Note - (Only with unknown removed Service(s)) - Note -
 - Note - Have to revert to find related Service(s) - Note -
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum