The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionWindows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist EmptyWindows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist

more_horiz
Hi,

May I know how to use this converter correctly?

I always get the below error (during installation of newly created ESD ISO in virtualbox) after converting Windows 7 SP1 x64 ISO(install.wim) to ESD ISO.

"Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist"

Current OS : Windows 7 SP1 x64
Winreducer Converter : 1.2.1.0
ISO : Windows 7 SP1 x64(install.wim) (size 5GB)
Output ISO : Windows 7 SP1 x64(install.esd) (size 3GB)

Windows 7 SP1 x64 ISO(install.wim) installed fine in virtualbox.

Thank you.

descriptionWindows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist EmptyRe: Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist

more_horiz
Hello,

Because "install.esd" is not supported by Windows 7 setup installation. Only Windows 8.0, 8.1 and 10 are supported esd file.

So, for Windows 7 you could save your "installl.wim" file in "esd" format  : only for backup (but not for use it for setup installation).

In other word, trying to use an "install.esd" file, with Windows 7, will result in a fatal error during setup installation. This is a Microsoft limitation for Windows 7.

And I will improve the detection to avoid such kind of errors.

Anyway, thank you for the report Smile

descriptionWindows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist EmptyRe: Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist

more_horiz
Hi admin,

Windows 7 ISO can use install.esd for installation too, just that I don't know how other pple created the ESD ISO.

Thank you.

more_horiz
I think you are wrong ... or the support is not officially supported by Microsoft : but if have have information I'm interested (only if this is an official way).

more_horiz
Sorry, I don't know. Only know it can be done.

Since slipstreaming ISO is getting too big to fix in single layer dvd, so now trying to figure out how those pple create Windows 7 ESD ISO.

Won't be using other methods(USB install or winreducer to remove) at the moment.

more_horiz
Yes, the USB install should be an excellent solution or may I suggest an alternative solution : instead of slipstreaming your updates in your ISO, just install them after installation, as Windows Updates will work in background task you will be able to install them silently.

more_horiz
you could also splitt your .wim file into .swm files. so you would be able to get it into 2 DVDs

more_horiz
dumbest wrote:
Windows 7 ISO can use install.esd for installation too, just that I don't know how other pple created the ESD ISO.

Dude;
These guys use a Windows 8 boot.wim to install Windows 7. Otherwise stated, they take a Windows 8 DVD and replace the Windows 7 esd file with the one therein. The installation process starts under Windows setup environment 8 but reverts to Windows 7 after reboot. As winterstorm stated however, this is not an official solution. And this method prevents the use of AutoUnattend.xml you've prepared for Windows 7, if there is any. Hope it's clear now Smile
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum