View previous topicGo downView next topic
theKramer

Install screen unresponsive at beginning of install

on Thu 10 Dec 2015 - 15:22
Hi all.
This is my first reduction attempt with Windows 10.

I installed the reduced ISO on VMWare 12 with no issues. Install worked perfectly.

However, when I try to install from a USB boot key on my physical machine, when it gets to the install screen, it is completely unresponsive. I see the screen but have no possibility to use my mouse nor keyboard..

Also, even though I have the autounattend.xml file, it shows the screen where one selects ones install language as the first screen...

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Autounattend and wccf files [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]...

Thx for the help..
brittech

Re: Install screen unresponsive at beginning of install

on Thu 10 Dec 2015 - 17:22
Do you have an alternative, physical machine to test your USB on?  (I'm wondering if there is a problem with the laptop's EFI firmware.)
brittech

on Thu 10 Dec 2015 - 17:25
Does the laptop have an SSD?
theKramer

on Fri 11 Dec 2015 - 10:58
Hi.
I have installed reduced windows 8.1 multiple times on this PC using the same process (Rufus boot disk) with no issues, so I would say its connected somehow to Winreducer10..

I tried also without the Autounattend.xml (just to see) and I had the same issue.

I will try again with 0.5.3.0 to see if that has the same issue..

I'll also try with expert optimizations disabled to see if that changes anything..
winterstorm2050
Admin
https://www.winreducer.net/

on Fri 11 Dec 2015 - 14:36
Hey theKramer,

I've looked at your wccf and you removed "Drivers- USB Hub (EHCI, UHCI, OHCI)" and "Drivers - USB Hub (xHCI)" which are respectively USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 supports !

You should keep these Wink

Have a nice day !
theKramer

on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 11:10
Hi winter.
I got it to install on my computer by copying the reduced install.wim to a standard install DVD.
Would these USB drivers be contained in the boot.wim also?
Because maybe that is the reason?

If I get the time, I will try to replicate by not removing these drivers..
KrX

on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 13:03
yes the usb drivers are also contained at the boot.wim, and when you remove it you cant use your usb key.
theKramer

on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 13:37
Dammit. That explains it so.

@winter: since removing these files can have such a disruptive influence on the installation, can you remove them from the removal tab? For me it doesn't make sense to allow users to remove them..
KrX

on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 15:50
you could remove them if you i.e. use a DVD. or (didnt test if it really works without them) if you boot the .iso directly from your HDD (add ist with Easy BCD to startup menu)
Hen Ry

on Mon 14 Dec 2015 - 23:45
I use in such a case the original boot.wim.
theKramer

on Wed 16 Dec 2015 - 3:50
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
KrX wrote:you could remove them if you i.e. use a DVD. or (didnt test if it really works without them) if you boot the .iso directly from your HDD (add ist with Easy BCD to startup menu)
Hi KrX.
I understand the workaround, but I ditched the DVD-ROM about 3 years ago  cheers
My point was that it in my opinion, there is too little gain for the possible problems it causes. I have been reducing my windows since Vista, and I made this error, imagine the amount of times this problem will be experienced once WREX10 leaves alpha/beta status.

At the very least, there should be a popup if someone selects these files for removal warning that it could break USB installations.

But personally, I dont think they should be available for removal..

Just my €0.02 Smile
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum