The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[IMPLEMENTED] WinSxS and FileRepository folders Empty[IMPLEMENTED] WinSxS and FileRepository folders

more_horiz
Hello.

winterstorm could i ask you to add feature to allow to descrease size of these folders. Because users that have SSD or small space this two folders take a lot of size.
Both of folders are in Windows folder. FileRepository is on System32\Drivestore

Thank you.

description[IMPLEMENTED] WinSxS and FileRepository folders EmptyRe: [IMPLEMENTED] WinSxS and FileRepository folders

more_horiz
hi,

there should be already an Option for winsxs

- winsxs Backup fodler
- winsxs (install.wim)

for the filereposity Folder, it contains Drivers for your pc, so to shrink it you can remove some Drivers you don need

description[IMPLEMENTED] WinSxS and FileRepository folders EmptyRe: [IMPLEMENTED] WinSxS and FileRepository folders

more_horiz
Thank you. Yes i already saw. But i'm talking after install Windows and other stuff (drivers, Office, etc...) the size of WinSxs is 5GB. 
Are you sure if i activate that option size of folder won't increase? Because tweak only refers to clean not put limit size.

Wink

more_horiz
ah ok now i understand what you mean

yes the winsxs folder will increase if you install a software or windows updates which places files/folders there.

the only way i could think of (if you used the components at winreducer) would be to clean the winsxs folder afterwards

something like (dont know if it still works for win10)

C:\Windows\System32\DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

more_horiz
After cleaning Winsxs, you should compress it using the new algorithms in Win 10. Saves a ton of space. More than 1.5 Gb on 64 bit Win 10. Take ownership of the winsxs folder, open command prompt as admin, go to Winsxs folder, then:

compact /c /a /s /f /exe:lzx

(lzx is the most compact, but if you have a weak CPU, change it to xpress16k.)

You can also do that to driverstore or system32 itself.

more_horiz
aymanalz wrote:
After cleaning Winsxs, you should compress it using the new algorithms in Win 10. Saves a ton of space. More than 1.5 Gb on 64 bit Win 10. Take ownership of the winsxs folder, open command prompt as admin, go to Winsxs folder, then:

nice info, thank for the command.

i think winreducer also got his feature where youc an select the compression. Im not sure if it compresses the mounted folder or the *.wim files.
If it just compresses the wim files it would be a nice feature to add this compression also for the winsxs and other folders

more_horiz
^^
I've wondered about that too, the language in winreducer is ambiguous. From what I see, winreducer only compresses the wim file, because even if I select the compress option, after installation I can get rid of over a GB with the above command.

more_horiz
aymanalz wrote:

Thanks i'll try later when i have free time.
But it's nice feature/addon to add on Winreducer  Wink

more_horiz
Hello,

This has been added but there is maybe a trouble with it, I need to dig that Wink

more_horiz
Hi!

Thank you dude. You da man cheers
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum