The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[Discussion] Slimming down boot.wim Empty[Discussion] Slimming down boot.wim

more_horiz
Firstly, here is my way to reduce boot.wim:

1- Use Win Toolkit to remove the following components in Windows Setup image, but don't close tool when removing complete:
Spoiler :

2- Create these .bat files, copy to Win Toolkit mount folder and run with admin privilege:
winsxs.bat
Spoiler :

misc.bat:
Spoiler :

system32.bat:
Spoiler :

3- Close tool, unmount and save wim file.

My current boot.wim is 117 MB and it work fine for me (didn't test it on UEFI machine, can someone test it for me please Very Happy). But I know there're many more files that can be deleted and maybe you guys will know them. So please post it here and it may help winterstorm to improve cleaning boot.wim in WinReducer . Thanks you guys! cheers

description[Discussion] Slimming down boot.wim EmptyRe: [Discussion] Slimming down boot.wim

more_horiz
thanks to billybully and torentus i could create this batch witch deleted a lot of files:

spoiler :

my boot.wim is ~46mb big and after i change some more things it is 42,7mb

this batch works for me but maybe you people need to keep some files like the keyboard layouts (kbd.....dll) and NLS files (nls....dll)

description[Discussion] Slimming down boot.wim EmptyRe: [Discussion] Slimming down boot.wim

more_horiz
AWESOME KrX!!! sunny
I'll test it now, thank you very much!!!  cheers

more_horiz
no problem, but like i said you need to keep some "NLS....dll" files and also the right keyboard layout files "kbd......dll" for your language .

i use an iso with german language

more_horiz
I see that all these dll filed for keyboard are present in my installed system as well. (Not just boot.wim). I had removed all languages except en-us, so I'm guessing that these files need not be there in the installed system.

Winter, if they are unnecessary, could you make sure that they don't get installed? Their file sizes are small, but there are hundreds of them. It might make a performance difference on mechanical hard disks.

more_horiz
i already requested it here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

i will as soon as i got some time make a list which files belong to which language to make it a bit easier for winterstorm to add them

So far, did the Batch work for you? or did you get some Problems ?

more_horiz
@KrX: Okay I tried your list 2 times but it seems like that list remove too much, first time I got error that system can not find BOOTVID.DLL, and second time I tried to not remove that file but I got a new error that system couldn't verify cdrom.sys Sad
Is that the batch file for Windows 7's boot.wim? Did you test it with Windows 8.1 update 1's boot.wim? Neutral

And 1 little thing, can you put your batch script in spoiler tag please? My scroll button nearly be burned pig

more_horiz
hmm ok, like i said it works perfect for me.

but it would be good if a lot of People could try that Batch and also test it till it works for them.

and after collecting all that results we could make a Batch that work for all, and which could be integrated into winreducer.

more_horiz
Update my removing list in System32, now my wim is 105 Mb Very Happy

more_horiz
MOVED TO THE RIGHT FORUM

more_horiz
Hi, I know that the theme is old (2014) but now I am interested in creating my own windows lite, modified
I have had good progress and that makes me happy, now my challenge is to reduce the size of the boot.wim considerably by precisely
that comes to this tutorial, it is understood very clear my problem is with "Win ToolKit" I do not know exactly how to use it, since
When using the option to remove components, it shows me an error that I will leave in the capture below, look for more versions
old (1.5 - 1.4) the current one is 1.7 and the result is the same. It would be that someone could advise me on the use of the "Win ToolKit"
or where should I work specifically to remove the components shown in this tutorial would be very helpful ..

I am working on Windows 8.1 Pro x86 ..

[Discussion] Slimming down boot.wim Captur11
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum