The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

dism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image

+3
Jpm
winterstorm2050
KrX
7 posters

descriptiondism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image  Emptydism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image

more_horiz
just posting to not forget it, also i think it can be interesting for some other users till its integrated into winreducer. btw this is already a part of winreducer, it is just added into the autounattend.xml but this way it seems better since it is done once on the iso and not everytime you install the OS

hi winter,

i got a question about dism and

Code:

Code:

/StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

since it is added to the unattanded.xml and executed during installation, why isnt it used on the wim with winreucer?

i tried it with an untouched iso only updates integrated. my iso is 6.53GB big. after mounting and using

Code:

Code:

Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

the final iso is 4,27GB, it installes fine and i can use windows update to install all new updates. cant try to integrate updates since its already updated, but i will try it out next week

or is the component "Windows Updates Files Cleanup" doing the same? if not it would be nice to use this maybe as first component executed by winreducer

i wish you a nice weekend dism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image  Icon_wink

hi,

i first tired
Code:

Code:

StartComponentCleanup 

and that took loooooong, i dont really know how long but it was probably more than 30 minutes. after that i used resetbase which took like 1 minute

there is also this option:

Code:

Code:

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded

Code:

Code:

To reduce the amount of space used by a Service Pack, use the /SPSuperseded
 parameter of Dism.exe on a running version of Windows 10 to remove any
backup components needed for uninstallation of the service pack. A
service pack is a collection of cumulative updates for a particular
release of Windows.

but that didnt do anything for me after the other 2

but i think that using the StartupComponentCleanup is a nice idea since i always use an "base" iso which i update and which gets bigger and bigger and if that reduces the iso size (for now more than 2 gb) that is nice.
! if integrating future updates still work ! which i think hopefully should.

btw im still at RS5, and did all those test with it.

if you want i can do a test in the next days to get the exact time i needed to use StartComponentCleanup

btw i found it all here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

EDIT: and yes integrating new updates into that iso works. i can also use windows update after that and also use this again to shrink my iso.

my iso is 4.27gb (updated last in june) and after updating it today it got to 4.89gb, than i used this and now it is 4.33gb and it took 36 minutes

also the folder \Windows\WinSxS\Temp plus all subfolder (empty) are needed for dism AnalyzeComponentStore.

this was done on my RS5 iso, i will test it also on my RS6 iso

descriptiondism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image  EmptyRe: dism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image

more_horiz
i also tried it with my rs6 iso

original size 4.62gb
after updating 4.70gb
using /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase 4.10gb

descriptiondism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image  EmptyRe: dism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image

more_horiz
Hello KrX Smile

How much times is needed to achieve the complete task ?

Because it should be a great alternative to the "WR Updates Cleanup". I remember at the Windows 10 beginning, the resetbase was only available with online image and not offline image Wink but as they improve this ... I will probably add it in EX-100 Smile

more_horiz
for my rs5 iso it took between 40-45 minutes

for my rs6 iso it took like 10-15 minutes, i did forget to look at the clock but it was very fast compared to yesterday

more_horiz
Hi,
I read a lot of thing in the web,
Not sure that Windows update" still work after.
I must be verify
Cheers

more_horiz
i tested it thelast 3 months. and i can integrate updates into my image after this AND also install updates via windows updates on an installed os. yeah not all updates are installed sometimes one fails but thats surely because i remove (<1300 components) a lot ;P

EDIT: but yes it could be declared as EXPERIMENTAL for a couple of months till we get some feedback from other users

more_horiz
That's really interesting ...

So if I understand correctly : you removed approx. 1300 components and Windows Updates is working .... and the dism resetbase is also working without breaking Windows Updates ?

Yes, the experimental status is required due to the highly sensitive purpose ... I will have a look at it for the next versions.

Thanks for the idea Smile

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
That's really interesting ...

So if I understand correctly : you removed approx. 1300 components and Windows Updates is working

yes but i kept all WU related stuff also didnt use the install.wim winsxs cleanup (since it breaks netfx 3.5)

.... and the dism resetbase is also working without breaking Windows Updates ?

when used on an untouched (just updated integrated) iso than YES, after that i can use this iso and remove my 1300 components and still use WU

more_horiz
New Test from today:

Original install.wim: 3,75GB
After updating it: 4,43GB
After /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase: 3,81GB

Windows Update still working

more_horiz
hi guys,

Analyze results:
Number of Reclaimable Packages : 0
Component Store Cleanup Recommended : Yes

I'm getting >> Error: 0x800f0806 - The operation could not be completed due to pending operations.
- with the below command, what am I missing ?

Dism /Image:C:\Mount /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Thanks,
Neo

more_horiz
neo wrote:
hi guys,

Analyze results:
Number of Reclaimable Packages : 0
Component Store Cleanup Recommended : Yes

I'm getting >> Error: 0x800f0806 - The operation could not be completed due to pending operations.
- with the below command, what am I missing ?

Dism /Image:C:\Mount /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Thanks,
Neo

hi

if C:\Mountis the path to your mounted wim file than the command is correct.

did you try using it on an already winreduced install.wim? if yes thats probably the problem.
im using it on an untouched RS6 iso where i integrate the newest updates, after that im using winreducer

more_horiz
hi KrX,

Am using an RS6 untouched, then, adding latest security updates with DISM, then, mount + analyze the WIM (with DISM)
Only then applying the cleanup command, that generates the error ..

I must be missing a step or a wrong syntax in the cleanup command.

Neo

more_horiz
im using this command it it works:

Code:

Dism /Image:"C:\Users\KrX\Desktop\Wim Manager1\Mount" /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

i only got an error once, and that was when i enabled NetFx3.5

more_horiz
Thanks much KrX Very Happy
Thanks for pinpointing my issue. I do have NetFx3.5 enabled Smile 
I don't want to disable it though, so I guess I won't use this cleanup Neutral
Best regards,
Neo

more_horiz
To take care of the pending updates problem caused by integrating NetFX. I integrate all updates with dism. I then run StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase, and then I integrate Netfx, and reinstall the CU.Everything comes out fine.

more_horiz
Thank you much Very Happy Blastikor
What do you mean by saying 'reinstall the CU' ?

Thanks again,
Neo

more_horiz
You're welcome.By reinstall the CU i mean to install the cumulative update for windows again.

more_horiz
Thanks again Blastikor Smile
Is it important to apply the security updates Twice ?
Or would the following be same or better or worse ? >> Untouched WIM Cleanup + Security updates + NetFx35 ?

Many thanks,
Neo

more_horiz
As far as I know the only update that needs to be integrated twice is the cumulative update for windows.My update runs go something like:

1. Install Servicing Stack Update.
2. Export install.wim.
3. Install .Net 4.8.
4. Install Intel Microcode Update (Optional,windows update will pick this up if not integrated.).
5. Install .Net Cumulative Update.
6. Install Adobe Flash Player update.
7. Install Cumulative update for windows.
8. /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase.
9. Integrate .NetFX3.
10. Reinstall Cumulative update.
11. Export install.wim.

I've been doing it this way for many years.If I remember correctly the cumulative update for windows has to be installed twice when done this way.If not windows will download and install it again. Also as far as I know reinstalling the cumulative update for windows only updates the changes NetFX3 integration made.

more_horiz
blastikor wrote:
As far as I know the only update that needs to be integrated twice is the cumulative update for windows.My update runs go something like:

2. Export install.wim.
3. Install .Net 4.8.
4. Install Intel Microcode Update (Optional,windows update will pick this up if not integrated.).
5. Install .Net Cumulative Update.
6. Install Adobe Flash Player update.
7. Install Cumulative update for windows.
8. /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase.
9. Integrate .NetFX3.
10. Reinstall Cumulative update.
11. Export install.wim.

I've been doing it this way for many years.If I remember correctly the cumulative update for windows has to be installed twice when done this way.If not windows will download and install it again. Also as far as I know reinstalling the cumulative update for windows only updates the changes NetFX3 integration made.

that sounds interesting. are you able to normally integrate updates the next month and also use /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase again without an error?

if yes that is wonderfull, since i never installed netfx3.5 since it was breaking the /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase on that new wim file

more_horiz
That's a good question. I've always made new windows images for about every install. I figured that NetFX would cause a "install pending". I just checked, and NetFX shows as "install pending". I suppose one could do steps 1-8 to keep an updatable image, and only do steps 9-11 when it comes install time if NeTFX is wanted/needed.

more_horiz
Jpm wrote:
Hi,
I read a lot of thing in the web,
Not sure that Windows update" still work after.
I must be verify
Cheers

"ResetBase" breaks "Reset this PC"

more_horiz
blastikor wrote:
That's a good question. I've always made new windows images for about every install. I figured that NetFX would cause a "install pending". I just checked, and NetFX shows as "install pending". I suppose one could do steps 1-8 to keep an updatable image, and only do steps 9-11 when it comes install time if NeTFX is wanted/needed.

ok thanks for you answer, thats what i thought Wink

EDIT: i think i will try to install the wim file and install netfx3.5 and use sysprep. maybe that way it will work

more_horiz
I've been doing some research, and testing. Apparently I haven't been getting a full /ResetBase on a RS1 10.0.14393.0 image.I have rediscovered (I forgot all about this.) that some older versions of Windows 10 (possibly newer too?) the /ResetBase option has no affect on components in offline servicing.

TenForums - Post #1
Eagle51 wrote:
FWIW ...
Seems like Win10 1809 is doing a better job of cleaning up after itself, when the Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase is run. I don't think it actually does the /ResetBase, unless you do the registry hack, but don't quote me on that ... I haven't done the registry hack to find out Smile

MDL Forums
abbodi1406 wrote:
Apparently in version 1709, /ResetBase has no affect on components in offline servicing, regardless of DisableResetbase registry
it only unistall superseded packages, and delete session files, but it does not remove superseded files or compress disabled features

online servicing on live OS is not affected, /ResetBase works as expected

luckily, SupersededActions registry value can do the same funcion of ResetBase (remove superseded components)
the only difference is that installed updates are not marked as permanent afterwards
which is good in my opinion, because you can easily unistall them later "after" you install new higher updates, instead having to run ResetBase each time

i actually know use this hidden feature since it was introduced with Windows 8.1 Update
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DisableResetbase 0 + SupersededActions 1 + /StartComponentCleanup = ResetBase (without updates permanency)
running /ResetBase afterwards will mark updates as permanent

P.S.
LatentActions do similar purpose, but it affect LDR components only (do not exist in Windows 10)

After integrating updates (including NetFX3) and running /ResetBase the install.wim size is 3.6GB.

Adding this to the offline registry prior to update integration and running /ResetBase the install.wim size is 3.3GB.

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Configuration]
"DisableResetbase"=dword:00000000
"SupersededActions"=dword:00000001

Furthermore if I delete WinSxS\ManifestCache, WinSxS\PendingDeletes, and Windows\INF\*.log the install.wim is reduced to 3.1GB.

more_horiz
Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I get the following error:

dism StartComponentCleanup ResetBase directly on offline image  Error23

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

more_horiz
Hi,

probably some missing file or registry entry. it should be "hidden" somewhere in the dism.log file or in te cbs.log file.

did you try it on an reduced iso? my thought was to use it before reducing the iso as STEP 1. so the iso size will be shrunk and dism wont fail since all files are present. after that you can use winreducer to remove components

more_horiz
Yes, I tried it on a reduced ISO, so this might be the reason.

I tried it before on an unreduced ISO with integrated updates but the the size increased! And I tried it on an unreduced ISO with integrated updates AND integrated .Net3.5 but it fails with an error. In Goggle I found that this command won't work when .Net3.5 is integrated.

more_horiz
@Hanyo Integrate all updates except Net 3.5. unmount and commit. Then remount and integrate Net 3.5, and reinstall the cumulative update. Also during the first integration run integrate these registry entries:

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Configuration]
"DisableResetbase"=dword:00000000
"SupersededActions"=dword:00000001

I usually integrate those after I have installed the service stack update, unmounted, and commited. When I remount I integrate the above registry entries, and proceed with the rest of the updates except Net 3.5. Then install Net 3.5, and reinstall the cumulative update. Do it on a unreduced image. This is how i do it on 1607. I made a friend a custom image right before Windows 7 EOL. It worked like a charm. Ok so it actually goes more like this.

2. Integrate Registry entries
3. Unmount/Commit
4. Export install.wim.
    Mount
5. Install .Net 4.8.
6. Install Intel Microcode Update (Optional,windows update will pick this up if not integrated.).
7. Install .Net Cumulative Update.
8. Install Adobe Flash Player update.
9. Install Cumulative update for windows.
10. /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase.
11. Unmount/Commit
     Mount
12. Integrate .NetFX3.
13. Reinstall Cumulative update.
14. Unmount/Commit
15. Export install.wim.

Note: May not have to integrate registry entries on images newer than 1607.

Note 2: There is a script over at MDL Forums created by abbodi1406 that will do this for you. It's called W10UI. Just give it a google. I believe sign up is required to see download links. I recommend getting it from MDL Forums instead of some other source. For anyone still running 1607 the script no longer works with it. Not the last time I tried anyway. To get it to work with 1607 you need to replace the updated boot.wim with the original, or update the boot.wim yourself.Well I just went and looked at the changelog for W10UI.ResetBase has been disabled in the script for Window versions 18362 and later to avoid breaking future cumulative updates.

more_horiz
I was able to clear up the fact that my ISO has even become larger due to the update cleanup. It is because I had mounted it with gimagex, apparently this program does not pack the ISO as compressed as Winreducer.

It is definitely not possible to perform this cleanup when NetFX3 is integrated in the ISO. But it is possible to run it with all updates and integrate NetFX3 afterwards, as blasikor suggested. A regtweak is not necessary (for 19H2).

more_horiz
Hanyo if gimagex creates a bigger iso you can run cmd as admin and use the following:
dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:D:\install.wim /DestinationName:"win10_pro" /compress:max
you must put your source and destination path for the install.wim.
it takes 20seconds to execute.
then you replace the original with the compressed iso.

for me it converts the 5gb install.wim to a 4gb install.wim
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum