The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[EX-100 - v2.4.5.0] [Win10x64 2004] Update and WinSxS cleanup Empty[EX-100 - v2.4.5.0] [Win10x64 2004] Update and WinSxS cleanup

more_horiz
WinSxS folder cleanup reduces the ISO size significantly and until now I assumed that then as a consequence Windows Update will no longer work. Accordingly, WinSxs folder cleanup is also disabled when the "protect windows update" switch is turned on.

However, I have now checked this again and done the following: I leave all components that the switch "protect windows update" protects, but still activate "WinSxS folder cleanup (install wim)".Result: Windows update still works, except for cumulative updates as well as those related to removed components, but this is the case even if you don't make the WinSxS cleanup.

My question is: Can you (especially winterstorm) confirm this and as a result possibly WinSxS folder cleanup can be taken out of update protection?

description[EX-100 - v2.4.5.0] [Win10x64 2004] Update and WinSxS cleanup EmptyRe: [EX-100 - v2.4.5.0] [Win10x64 2004] Update and WinSxS cleanup

more_horiz
hi [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As long that Windows Update Service    is present simple updates and driver updates are working
Deleting a few items in Windows  has as consequence that cumulative updates are not woeking
i read a few monts ago that microsoft is working onto an other update system, probably because
thes problems with cumulative updates.

icy

description[EX-100 - v2.4.5.0] [Win10x64 2004] Update and WinSxS cleanup EmptyRe: [EX-100 - v2.4.5.0] [Win10x64 2004] Update and WinSxS cleanup

more_horiz
Hello guys Smile

Yes, I confirm that you can't have both (full cleanup of winsxs and keep windows update), so at the moment, you can do that :
- fully cleanup winsxs : windows update will no longer work
- keep windows update : winsxs can't be fully cleaned

If you really need to keep windows update, maybe you can disable all windows updates services (and all depending services as well) before installation ... then reactivate them manually when required [just for information, WinReducerOS will be able to help you create a WROS_Module to activate all services at once using one button].

more_horiz
Hi winterstorm,
the surprising thing for me is that it doesn't seem to be as you write. Measured by the ISO size, a complete WinSxS cleanup takes place and yet windows update works exactly as if I had not done a cleanup. That is, all updates are installed by WU except cumulative updates. Also office updates. Please try!

more_horiz
With EX100 v2.4.6.0 and the latest updates from the update catalog I could even install a cumulative update??? Hard to believe but what would be the other explanation?
[EX-100 - v2.4.5.0] [Win10x64 2004] Update and WinSxS cleanup Update12

more_horiz
The KB4598242, which was successfully updated by my winreduced system, had already been integrated in the initial ISO. So by the reduction by winreducer it was wrongly identified as to be updated. That could explain, why here for once a cumulative update was successful.
All this does not change the fact that updates with WinSxS cleanup work as well or as badly as without.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum