The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionhelp with Firewall Emptyhelp with Firewall

more_horiz
I'm trying to figure out what I removed that would cause the firewall service not to start.. it is causing another issue but I need to track down one problem at a time. Anyone run across this in their custom builds? Here is the services section from my config:

<Element Category="Services" Name="Activation" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="ActiveX" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Application Experience" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Beep" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Biometric" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="BitLocker Drive Encryption" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Block Level Backup" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="BranchCache" Removed="false" Tips="Reduce wide area network (WAN) utilization while simultaneously increasing the responsiveness of network applications at remote offices" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Defender" Removed="ok" Tips="Windows integrated Anti-Virus" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Drive Optimizer" Removed="false" Tips="Formerly Disk Defragmenter Service" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Fax" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="File History" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="HomeGroup (Listener and Provider)" Removed="ok" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" Removed="true" Tips="Break displaying MetroUI Applications" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" Removed="ok" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup" Removed="false" Tips="Monitor and install qualified devices that connect to a qualified network" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Program Compatibility Assistant" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" Removed="false" Tips="Also known as QWAVE" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Remote Access" Removed="false" Tips="Create a connection to a remote network" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Remote Desktop" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Remote Management" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Remote Registry" Removed="ok" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Search" Removed="ok" Tips="Provides content indexing, property caching, and search results for files, e-mail, and other content" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Secondary Logon" Removed="false" Tips="Enable starting processes under alternate credentials" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Security Center" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Sensors Monitoring" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)" Removed="ok" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Smart Card" Removed="false" Tips="Also remove Smart Card Removal Policy and Certificate Propagation services" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="SSDP Discovery" Removed="false" Tips="Useful for UPnP devices" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Superfetch" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Telnet" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Time" Removed="false" Tips="Date and Time synchronization" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="UPnP Device Host" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Volume Shadow Copy" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Windows Backup" Removed="ok" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Windows Firewall" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Windows Store" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="Windows Update" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="WLAN AutoConfig" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="WWAN AutoConfig" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Services" Name="XPS Viewer and Printer" Removed="ok" Tips="" />

descriptionhelp with Firewall EmptyRe: help with Firewall

more_horiz
so it looks like the problem with the firewall is most likely another dependant service because I ran this utility and it made a change and the firewall is now running and I was able to enable FileServicesCore from server package. I'm trying to dig through the logs this utility generated to see what it changed
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the logs for this software do not give enough information unfortunately... I checked all the other services before and after and don't see anything changed besides firewall service running correctly.. I never removed the firewall service so not sure whats going on here

more_horiz
as another benefit to that utility I ran, it also fixed a problem preventing me from installing MS Office "any version, error 1935".. this is weird. I would really like to correct this in my custom install.

more_horiz
Just an FYI, removing ICS from winreducer breaks firewall. I left it in with no other change to my build and it was running right after install. Odd part is it is disabled and not running but the firewall is still running as it should.

more_horiz
Apparently removing RPC may affect it also: 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

more_horiz
Thank you guys for your work, I've completed the tips in WinReducer ! Very Happy

more_horiz
I was thinking as it pertains to this particular problem with services and their dependencies.. what would you think of a GUI interface page that lists the services as a tree so that any parent and/or dependent service can be listed so that they can all been seen quickly and which ones affect another?

more_horiz
Black6spdZ wrote:
I was thinking as it pertains to this particular problem with services and their dependencies.. what would you think of a GUI interface page that lists the services as a tree so that any parent and/or dependent service can be listed so that they can all been seen quickly and which ones affect another?

This is a great idea, but it would require A LOT of testing. I would do it Very Happy (once Windows 8.1 comes out).
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum