The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: installing cumulative updates through setup.exe not working Empty[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: installing cumulative updates through setup.exe not working

more_horiz
Based on my previous bug report, cumulative updates on WR seems to be very problematic with very high chances of failure. It seems that integrating a CU inside a Wreduced ISO it works fine, but only as a full install from scratch (which means saying goodbye to all settings, apps and files).
If I am not wrong, cumulative updates are released once a month and we can't certainly rebuild and do a full install each month.

In [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I saw what could be a good compromise: a Wreduced ISO with the update integrated and the setup.exe preserved. Once launched, Windows will ask if we want reinstall and preserve files, apps and settings.
I have only been able to get this (partially working) only after disabling unattend (otherwise I get a blue boot install screen).
The problem is that on the selection screen, the option to keep files and apps is greyed out leaving me with the only option to do a full install.
This is the installer info:
"you cant keep windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of windows might be installed in a unsupported directory or you're trying to install an older version of Windows".

I checked "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" and everything is in the correct directories and drive:
ProgramFilesDir = C:\Program Files
ProgramFilesDir(x86) = C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramFilesPath = C:\Program Files
ProgramW6432Dir = C:\Program Files
The directory "C:\Users\" is the default one and the version of Windows 10 matches the current system language ("DISM /online /get-intl" command returned "Default system UI language : en-GB" and "dism /Get-WimInfo" returns "Languages: en-GB (Default)").

The above are the causes for this problem and none of them applies to me.

At this point I must assume that this is a bug (and a severe bug) of WR which probably does not protect some required components because on minimal isos done for debugging purposes I am allowed to keep my data and everything works, but as soon as I start removing components...kaboom!
Or may be something else which trigger the installer to think that the installed winreduced windows is an old version of Windows.   

At this point, if these bugs are not resolvible and we have to deal with them each month because this is just how WR works, I am wondering if we're better off to remove from the ISO every update functionality (which also allow a much deep cleanup and the removal of other resource consuming components) and do a full reinstall every couple of months.
I don't know if this will also break windows defender definitions updates/removal tools (malware, virus etc) and other updates (for example drivers) which now works fine, but at this point I am seriously evaluating to fully remove WD and all the other update related components (I suppose this will be another great gain in performance).
I'm an experienced user from very long time, I know how to avoid virus and malware and what is doing WD is consuming resources and annoying me with false alarms on files that I already know to be safe.
.Net framework cumulative updates will still work?? As of now they install just fine along with all the other updates.
The full expert optimizations TIPS states that also windows features will break, but I assume only if I try to enable/disable directly within the OS, right? As long as I enable them directly in WR they should work, right?

To be honest updates are a nightmare, it lacks documentation and one have to find out himself how to do things and based on these findings seems to be that only a small part of components responsibile for updates are protected.
If cumulative updates does not work anymore in WR and this cannot be fixed, pheraps it would be better to put a red warning in the main app screen. Even if there is some partial support, most people uses WR for deeper customizations other than removal of keyboards, languages and tweaks.

I would like to ask the author if he has ever evaluated the idea to implement "Live Edit" feature like Ntlite which makes updates easy, fully automated and prone to error. It also allow to quickly reintegrate removed components (in WR, unless I am missing something, to reintegrate a component I must rebuild everything from scratch! A nightmare!).
Thanks

description[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: installing cumulative updates through setup.exe not working EmptyRe: [EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: installing cumulative updates through setup.exe not working

more_horiz
Hi davidoff458
See to Winterstorm,par 2
icy

description[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: installing cumulative updates through setup.exe not working EmptyRe: [EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: installing cumulative updates through setup.exe not working

more_horiz
icy007 wrote:
Hi davidoff458
See to Winterstorm,par 2
icy

Thanks for your help, but what you linked has nothing to do with this topic and I don't understand the purpose of that topic. You're just saying to integrate CU and reinstall everything from scratch included settings, files, applications etc.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

more_horiz
closing this old bug.

i posted some things that broke WU here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum