The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

Empty folders /files /links to remove

5 posters

descriptionEmpty folders /files /links to remove - Page 2 EmptyRe: Empty folders /files /links to remove

more_horiz
meanwhile i installed (some days ago) an untouced windows 7 ultimate x64. so thats not the problem.

the only thing i could think would be now the wim filter. i tried weeks ago the wim filter from vista, vista sp1 and windows7. which one du you use?

even without using vlite i got now an windows 7 ultimate x64 iso full updated till january 2014 with an size of 2.19 Gb.

And i only used RT7 and vlite (sxs reduction).
next step winreducer, booster,7customizer and than manual deletion. Razz

descriptionEmpty folders /files /links to remove - Page 2 EmptyRe: Empty folders /files /links to remove

more_horiz
Ohhh... Maybe it is the wimfltr. I totally forgot about it Embarassed. I use the one displayed in this link:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Try it.

more_horiz
This wim filter didnt work either.

but i used all tools i could find and removed as much as i could (with your really nice tips too)

and my install.wim is now 1.3Gb and boot.wim is 122mb (full Updated Win 7 x64)

i couldnt delete all files in boot.wim -> Sxs folder like you said. i got 3 typed of errors when i deleted all folders (exept the 3 you mentioned)

1. after the loading and seeing the bootlogo, the screen was black (cursor was there)
2. after loading bevor bootlogo an error where some files werent found
3. after accepting the eula i got an error that a driver to find the hard drive was not there

i will try deleting and deleting some folders in winsxs but that will take a lot of time to find which i should keep.

more_horiz
Really? Hey, why don't you try to reduce an image without integrating any updates? That way we will be able to compare our results with more detail. And maybe I will share some more tips with you Wink.

more_horiz
when i finish this updated iso, i will try doing all the steps again without integrating updates

i will be using

X17-24395.iso
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (German Language)
Iso size : 3,09Gb

but what i absolutely  need is windows search (if i remove natural language with rt7 booster it breaks)
and when enabled the preview pane in explorer i wannt to see textfiles (if removed mail oder contacts with rt7 booster it breaks)

i think i will post a detailed log today evening

more_horiz
So that's what breaks the text file preview… Thanks for the info, haha. And, OK, take your time.

more_horiz
X17-24395.iso         iso 3,09gB        install.wim 2,75Gb        boot.wim 160mb
Deleted with WinToolkit other versions in install.wim(dont know why there are others...)
and WinPE in boot.wim + max compression

WinToolkit.iso         iso 2,95gB        install.wim 2,62Gb        boot.wim 152mb
7Customizer.iso        iso 2,79gB        install.wim 2,45Gb        boot.wim 152mb
Rt7Lite.iso            iso 1,33gB        install.wim 1,16Gb        boot.wim 152mb

Wow without updates my install.wim is 1,16Gb oO notmally its like 2,0Gb when i integrate 468mb updates

its funny now  vlite works how it should oO so windows updates make problems with vlite oO
vLite.iso            iso 1,27gB        install.wim 1,10Gb        boot.wim 152mb
RT7-Booster.iso        iso 1,13gB        install.wim 981Mb        boot.wim 152mb
WinReducer7.iso        iso 1,12gB        install.wim 978Mb        boot.wim 152mb

Deleting the files and folders from post 1

Del.iso                iso 1,12gB        install.wim 979Mb        boot.wim 151mb

Deleting files in assembly like you said:

assembly.iso        iso 962Mb        install.wim 787Mb        boot.wim 151mb

Deleting files from boot.wim like you said (the first "part") even deleting all the folder in WinSxs worked !!

Boot.wimReduction.iso        iso 931Mb        install.wim 787Mb        boot.wim 119mb

Deleting files from boot.wim with the 2 batch files

BootwimSecond.iso            iso 895Mb        install.wim 787Mb        boot.wim 84,1mb

So integrating updates 468mb is causing failures with vLite (because only WinSxs folder can be cleaned), and also all folders from boot.wim --> WinSxs cant be deleted.

iso with updates 1,53Gb and iso without updates 895mb, thats 608mb less. That means
608mb - 468mb (updates) = 140mb cant be reduced properly.

more_horiz
So were you able to reduce the WinSxS folder in the boot.wim file or not? Also, all original Windows 7 ISOs contain all 5 editions (4 for the 64 bit ones, since Starter isn't in them), so that's normal. I always select to reduce the Professional edition because it is the lightest one among the Aero enabled ones. If I find myself with free time this week, I'm going to create a new ISO, because I've discovered a few new tips to reduce size Wink (gotta test them before publishing them). Now that you see how small your ISO can be, will you keep the updated one? Or are you going to keep the awesome small one? Lol. I personally don't find updates useful. That's why I don't integrate them.

more_horiz
yes i could reduce the boot.wim also the WinSxs folder (only the 3 folders are left)

where do you get this nice tipps? im searching and searching and cant finde really something new.

and yes i wount integrate updates anymore, but i will do some more tests with each tool and maybe i can finde some more components to remove for myself.

I also will get a closer look at Professional edition, i saw now that some features only ultimate gets arent interessting for me at all and which i remove

more_horiz
Yeah, do that. By the way, my MSDN untouched ISO is 2.77 GB. It is an N version. I recommend you to download an N version because they are Windows Media free (crap that both you and me remove), with the advantage of it being removed by Microsoft itself.

Will begin in around 12 hours with my new ISO... See you until then.

more_horiz
New first reduction step (still RT7-Lite):

*Original install.wim file size: 2487.42 MB
*Original boot.wim file size: 160.83 MB
------------------------------------------
*New install.wim file size: 1036.05 MB
*New boot.wim file size: 71.29 MB

Manual deletions done to the install.wim file:

• \Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32
  • \Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64

Configuration used in RT7-Lite:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lastsession.inf:

Spoiler :

New next step: vLite...

more_horiz
OK, I'm done with RT7-Booster. Here are the details:

*New install.wim file size: 862.81 MB

Manual deletions done to the install.wim file:

Spoiler :

RT7-Booster.ini:

Spoiler :

Next step: I don't know, lol. I have to check some stuff first. I'll keep you informed.

Note on the boot.wim file: Well... I've reached the 72.37 MB size. I really don't think a smaller size is possible. Maybe it is possible to cut one or two more MB from it, but not more. I'll try to write a detailed guide to reduce it, but don't expect it soon, because I'm up to the neck with stuff to do.

more_horiz
ok thanks. i will try that tomorrow,

meanwhile i tried again with an Professionall N x64 SP1

all steps where the same as last time (in RT7Lite i deleted even more stuff)

X17-59327.iso         iso: 2,71Gb        install.wim: 2,37Gb        boot.wim: 162Mb
WinToolkit.iso        iso: 2,58Gb        install.wim: 2,25Gb        boot.wim: 154Mb
7Customizer.iso        iso: 2,42Gb        install.wim: 2,08Gb        boot.wim: 154Mb
Rt7Lite.iso            iso: 1,32Gb        install.wim: 1,15Gb        boot.wim: 154Mb
vLite.iso            iso: 1,27Gb        install.wim: 1,09Gb        boot.wim: 154Mb
RT7-Booster.iso        iso: 1,09Gb        install.wim: 937Mb        boot.wim: 154Mb
WinReducer7.iso        iso: 1,08Gb        install.wim: 934Mb        boot.wim: 154Mb
Del.iso                iso: 1,08Gb        install.wim: 935Mb        boot.wim: 152Mb
assembly.iso        iso: 920Mb        install.wim: 744Mb        boot.wim: 152Mb
Boot.wim.iso        iso: 889Mb        install.wim: 744Mb        boot.wim: 120Mb
BootwimSecond        iso: 852Mb        install.wim: 744Mb        boot.wim: 84,6Mb

more_horiz
i did like you said, exept some thing i needed to deselect in Rt7Lite, like wifi things and this:

because if i select something there all administrativ tools here disapear:

EDIT:

Iso: 884Mb
Install.wim: 776mb
Boot.wim 84,6mb

more_horiz
I'm done with vLite. Details below:

*New install.wim file size: 629.82 MB

Last Session.ini:

Spoiler :

Final step: WinReducer...

more_horiz
hey, when i delete

Manual Install (Setup.exe)

via vLite it deletes from the sources folder the lang.ini and setup.exe (dont know if more) and i get this error:

install.wim is now 727mb

why didnt you use after using Rt7Booster, WinReducer? but vLite?

more_horiz
Oh, yeah. Try to put the setup.exe file back where it was. That file isn't needed in Vista, but it is needed in 7. Maybe that will solve your issue.

Also, I use vLite before WinReducer to avoid a second use of GImageX (I modifiy a set of things before clicking on "Create ISO". vLite will unmount the image as soon as it is finished, and WinReducer will leave it mounted). Did you understand?

more_horiz
billybully wrote:
Oh, yeah. Try to put the setup.exe file back where it was. That file isn't needed in Vista, but it is needed in 7. Maybe that will solve your issue.

Also, I use vLite before WinReducer to avoid a second use of GImageX (I modifiy a set of things before clicking on "Create ISO". vLite will unmount the image as soon as it is finished, and WinReducer will leave it mounted). Did you understand?

Just to chip in here, KrX, yes, you do need the setup.exe file in the root of the ISO. Copy in the setup.exe from the original DVD. I remember that from the old days Wink 

Have you guys read these threads??

Might be some extra info there for you guys

more_horiz
ok thansk for the information, i have understood Wink

@theKramer

thanks for the links i will try that out Razz

more_horiz
so,

using the first link of theKramer didnt remove anything = no reduction

from the second link, i extracted the files in the root of my mounted install.wim and it removed some stuff from WinSxs

in total my install.wim got 3Mb smaller

more_horiz
Hey, dude. I was messing around the other day with my images, and I managed to reduced them a little bit more. I can't really believe it, haha. The amount of crap Microsoft puts in their OSs is incredible. I'm going to update my previous posts when I find the time to do it.

EDIT: First post updated ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) Smile. Managed to cut one more MB from the boot.wim.

more_horiz
Hey,

i saw you kept some .NLS files in

\Windows\System32

i looked here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

for the "code" , for german 1252 and 850 and i just kept

C_1252.NLS
C_850.NLS

and deleted all other .nls (natural language support) files and didnt got any error at all.

its just some kbs less but why not Razz

more_horiz
Are you talking about the boot.wim or the install.wim? Because I don't mess with those files in the install.wim. I do, however, in the boot.wim. And I didn't know that :O. I will play with that when I have time.

more_horiz
ah sorry i forgot to mention that i meant boot.wim

more_horiz
hey i tried to reduce a bit the boot.wim myself

i deleted the Windows\SysWOW64 folder and all files in it, and all is still working

boot.wim befor 74.8Mb now 72,8Mb

more_horiz
hey i saw right now in the rt7lite.inf of you that you used

[Version: Release Candidate 1.7.0]

i always used [Version: Beta 2.6.0]

is at the RC more to remove?

more_horiz
hey i used the iso i got from reducing with rt7lite, vlite, the batch to reduce the boot.wim etc and which was 820 Mb now with WinReducer 3.0

and my iso is now 686Mb

my boot.wim is 68,4Mb
and my install.wim is 593Mb

and everything is still working Razz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum