The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

WinReducer 7 - v2.00 - Pre-Alpha TEST

+10
savale
pedilover
Ultraform
Torrentus
seiferflo
billybully
parapher
tistou77
Vinc
winterstorm2050
14 posters

descriptionWinReducer 7 - v2.00 - Pre-Alpha TEST - Page 2 EmptyRe: WinReducer 7 - v2.00 - Pre-Alpha TEST

more_horiz
Guys, I'm late on WinReducer8, so I will delay WinReducer 7 new step again, I'm really sorry ...

descriptionWinReducer 7 - v2.00 - Pre-Alpha TEST - Page 2 EmptyRe: WinReducer 7 - v2.00 - Pre-Alpha TEST

more_horiz
No problem, winterstorm. We only have the right to be grateful Wink Thanks for the info.

more_horiz
OK, guys ... I'm back for working on WinReducer 7, and I'm updating it to be based on WinReducer 8 - v0.50 (alpha) engine ...

more_horiz
Thanks so much Winter Wink

more_horiz
v2.00 (alpha - Stage 3) WILL BE RELEASED TOMORROW ... Wink

But take really care about that ==> All components will be available, so I will not guarantee that your ISO will work correctly ...

YOU MUST TRY IT IN A VIRTUALIZATION SOFTWARE
(like VMware Player or Virtualbox, ...)

more_horiz
WINREDUCER v2.00 (alpha 3) IS AVAILABLE !

Theme Pack will come today .... Very Happy

EDIT : Links available in 1st post !

more_horiz
can't wait for this. "crying".
Maybe I should try to do a Ultimate/Pro to Home basic, if it is possible later =)
Because I do not need all the features in Ultimate/Pro, but I have more memory than home basic support :/

more_horiz
Thanks very much, winter!

I made my first lite image with it already, a Win7 x64 Pro. I used a fully updated image that I used (made up to date and then sysprep'd) so the install.wim size was 3.4 gb or so, and after WinReducer7 I got it down to 2.6gb :)Now, that is with only 34 things removed, so not a very heavy reduction (on purpose). I already installed it in a VM and no problems installing.

Some things I noticed:

- there's some Win8 references and removal things in the app still (but you know this) and there are some thing that Win8 doesn't have that can be added for WR7, like removal of TV Tuner drivers. I noticed it also lacked removal for Accessibility, and Ease of Access, and some other things.
- I removed Action Center but the CPL icon still exists
- I removed Speech but Narrator still exists and Narrator actually loads (but fails when you play with it). So maybe when removing Speech, Narrator should also be removed. I also removed On-Screen Keyboard and the button to it still exists but it won't load (as expected). Maybe it would be better to allow removal of Ease of Access Center altogether?
- I removed Sticky Notes but it still had a shortcut in Start Menu, and it gives errors when loading it. When I rebooted, it complained about Sticky Notes hanging or something (so it tried loading on boot I guess)
- Snipping Tool was not set to be removed by me, but it fails to load and gives an error message. Magnification.dll's (there's one in System32 and one in SysWOW64) are still there so it must be some other component that was removed that is making it fail
- I removed Windows Recovery Environment but I could still load "Recovery" under Control Panel. Is this normal or should this be gone? It does load when clicked. Also, there was still "Backup and Restore" and "Create a System Repair Disc" under the Maintenance folder in Start Menu.
- a "Help and Support" shortcut (not blank) was still in the Maintenance folder in Start Menu even though I had removed Help
- Private Character Map and Character Editor would not load, but these have not been removed by me. Maybe something else I removed disabled these, but I don't know what. I did remove Input Method Panel? Briefcase? I don't know that could have caused those to fail.
- Windows Easy Transfer was removed by me, but two of its (blank) shortcuts in Start Menu remain (vLite had the exact same problem so I always had to manually remove them by mounting the lite install.wim). The shortcut names are: 'Windows Easy Transfer Reports' and 'Windows Easy Transfer' (under Accessories->System Tools)
- Even though I removed all Tablet PC options, I still had the Tablet PC folder in Start Menu, and the two (blank) shortcuts: 'ShapeCollector' and 'TabTip'

All other apps/things seem to be working. Hope this helps. Thanks!

more_horiz
What a wonderful feedback !

And that really help me, thank you !

So my 1st work to do will be to remove all unneeded Windows 8 components, I will try to release a new build for the end of this week ...

more_horiz
Laughing Thanks, winter!

I did a second lite build and also removed the Languages (didn't see that somehow on first build) and included Briefcase again but removed some other things for a total of 93 components. The components I removed were pretty much the same ones I used to remove using vLite (except WR7 doesn't have Accessibility removal yet, nor Ease of Access and some other things). I did this on purpose so I could compare what is being removed and what not and how it compares in size, etc.

Anyway, I compared the install.wim's from the vLite build with the install.wim from the WR7 build and noticed a couple of things:

a) some files and folders relating to Tablet PC, Speech were not removed in WR7 build that were removed in vLite build
b) for some reason the WinSxS folder of the vLite build is much smaller, which again sort of confirms what I had been seeing on vLite builds, that it looks like vLite also reduces WinSxS somehow

I kept notes of the comparison I made, so I'll include my notes in a CODE field below so you can paste it into a text file easily:

Code:

=:= Files that a WR7 build still has but vlite doesn't when removing similar components =:=

(I used WR7 to remove: Action Center, Speech, all Tablet PC parts, Natural Language, Languages, Windows Easy Transfer, Recovery Environment, Sticky Notes, Help & Support, and maybe some minor other things. This is about what I used to remove using vLite, but with vLite I also removed Accessibility and some other things. So it's similar to one of my vLite builds. However, the files/folders mentioned below remained in the WR7 build but were removed in the vLite builds. So I think WR7 can remove these without ill effects, so the images can be even smaller.)

[This is on a x64 build but I think the same applies to x86 builds (although that won't have Program Files (x86), of course. Here are the folder/files left over in WR7 build:]

=======================
==== Program Files ====
=======================

* Common Files *

\SpeechEngines (folder not present on vLite build, but it is in WR7 build)  [should be removed when removing Speech?]

* Windows Mail * (folder not present in WR7 build (but I did NOT remove Mail), but it IS present in vLite build. So this is strange and the exception, because all other things WR7 did NOT remove, but for some reason Mail did get removed in WR7 builds even though I did not select it to remove Mail.)

* Windows NT *

\TableTextService folder present on WR7 build but not on vLite build  [should be removed when removing Tablet PC?]

=============================
==== Program Files (x86) ====
=============================

* Common Files *

\microsoft shared\ink:
 - micaut.dll
 - Microsoft.Ink.dll
 - mraut.dll
 - mshwgst.dll
 - mshwLatin.dll
 - penchs.dll
 - penjpn.dll
 - penkor.dll
 - penusa.dll
 - pipanel.dll
 - pipres.dll
 - skchobj.dll
 - skchui.dll     [these .dll's should be removed when removing Tablet PC?]

\microsoft shared\ink\en-US:
 - micaut.dll.mui, mshwLatin.dll.mui, rtscom.dll.mui  [should be removed when removing Tablet PC?]

\SpeechEngines (entire folder not present on vLite build)  [should be removed when removing Speech?]

* Windows Mail * (folder not present in WR7 build (but I did NOT remove Mail), but it IS present in vLite build. So this is strange and the exception, because all other things WR7 did NOT remove, but for some reason Mail did get removed in WR7 builds even though I did not select it to remove Mail.)

* Windows NT *

\TableTextService folder present on WR7 build but not on vLite build (when removing Tablet PC?)  [should be removed when removing Tablet PC?]

=====================
==== WinSXS size ====
=====================

I noticed that on the vLite build, the WinSxS folder was significantly smaller (2gb actual size as reported by Explorer/7-Zip, which translates as around 300-400mb in the install.wim size). I know WinSxS hard-links, so it may not be actual size of the folder, but for our comparision it makes no difference since WAIK tools see no difference either (just like Explorer doesn't). So somehow the vLite build ends up with smaller WinSxS. I don't know how, but it seems like vLite removes relative parts out of the WinSxS of the components removed by vLite, or something. I don't think vLite uses WinSxS compression, but I'm not sure. That "nuhi" guy that made vLite was kind of a wizard, so you never know

That's all the differences I've been able to find at this moment.

Hope it helps!

more_horiz
Yes it helps, and these are precious informations ... I will read your posts with all my attention ... Thank you so much ...

more_horiz
Wink Cool

EDIT: edited the previous post a bit (I first said 'I don't think vLite uses .wim compression, but I meant 'WinSxS compression')

more_horiz
By the way, I checked all the 'compatibility' boxes in WR7 (for Help+Support, Activation, etc.).

I further thought I would mention that as part of the vLite session files I used, I kept the following list of 'keep' files, files to keep even though the removal of certain components would remove these. The reason to keep these files is compatibility, and myself and others in the past have maintained such a list so that certain Windows features (or apps) won't break:

(x86 and x64)
windows\fonts\meiryo.ttc
windows\fonts\meiryob.ttc
windows\system32\browcli.dll
windows\system32\Magnification.dll
windows\system32\msdrm.dll
windows\system32\msdt.exe
windows\system32\msoert2.dll
windows\system32\optionalfeatures.exe
windows\system32\regini.exe
windows\system32\SystemPropertiesRemote.exe
windows\system32\tbs.dll
windows\system32\wer.dll
windows\system32\werconcpl.dll
windows\system32\wercplsupport.dll
windows\system32\werdiagcontroller.dll
windows\system32\winipsec.dll
windows\system32\wmdrmsdk.dll
windows\system32\SnippingTool.exe
windows\system32\vfpodbc.dll
(x64)
windows\SysWOW64\browcli.dll
windows\SysWOW64\Magnification.dll
windows\SysWOW64\msdrm.dll
windows\SysWOW64\msdt.exe
windows\SysWOW64\msoert2.dll
windows\SysWOW64\optionalfeatures.exe
windows\SysWOW64\regini.exe
windows\SysWOW64\SystemPropertiesRemote.exe
windows\SysWOW64\tbs.dll
windows\SysWOW64\vfpodbc.dll
windows\SysWOW64\wer.dll
windows\SysWOW64\werconcpl.dll
windows\SysWOW64\wercplsupport.dll
windows\SysWOW64\werdiagcontroller.dll
windows\SysWOW64\winipsec.dll
windows\SysWOW64\wmdrmsdk.dll
windows\SysWOW64\SnippingTool.exe

(The meiryo fonts were included there because there may be problems removing these and installing MS Office 2010 (and maybe other versions). They are Japanese fonts and for some reason Office 'needs' them or the installer produces an error. It's not bad though, because if you OK the error it will still install.)

more_horiz
Hi winterstorm,
when will come an update for winreducer 7 ?
or do you work on winreducer8 exclusivly ?
Regards

more_horiz
Hi,

Yes, I'm working on WinReducer 8.1 but not exclusively, so I will release a new WinReducer 7 build soon. Very Happy

more_horiz
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Good news !
I'm looking for the new version !
Regards

more_horiz
Thanks for this! Unfortunately I found a showstopper for me. I try to use it with an updated AIO x64 iso, but it only shows 5 of the 20 editions when I try to load it. (which don't include the version I want to strip)
I now try to find a workaround to remove the other editions at forehand, so if one got suggestions how to do that?
Edit: used Windows AIO Maker prof and seems to work. Now going to continue

Edit: Can't get past this error Sad Probably removed something that doesn't want to be removed?

more_horiz
Yes, WinReducer 7 is not completely optimized yet, and I will release a new build during September (don't know exactly when for the moment ...)

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Yes, WinReducer 7 is not completely optimized yet, and I will release a new build during September (don't know exactly when for the moment ...)

No problem, thanks for the hard work Smile I understand this can happen, but it will be quite a search for me... Maybe someone can post a working configuration, so I can do a compare

more_horiz
Just take care if you want to try removing components with WR7 because it's a pre-alpha so the result for the moment shouldn't be as expected ... Wink

more_horiz
I found out the error also shows when not removing a single component, so it has probably something to do with removing images from the AIO iso... Will to a retry later

more_horiz
"es, I'm working on WinReducer 8.1 but not exclusively, so I will release a new WinReducer 7 build soon. Very Happy"

I know you make preference to 8.1 but it woud be very nice if there would appear an update for your Winreducer 7 Vers.2 ?
Go on with your good work.
Regards

more_horiz
I will have more free time once WinReducer 8.1 will be release ... Very Happy

more_horiz
Thanks ! I'm waiting and I believe I'm not the only one !
Regards

more_horiz
Questions & suggestions;

1. Can WinReducer8 be used for Win7 and vice a versa?
2. How about a overall FAQ for both products?
3. Where are 2nd & 3rd program within that M$ program??

RT Lite has a confusing interface and it looks as it will not be updated. Sad

more_horiz
I have all four of the extra programs loaded and they show green, but I still get a error message that one or more files are missing. After I click 'Save', I get another box saying something has to be configured under Options. The dialog box that comes up from the ? says and/or for 32 & 64 bit.

I'm just running 64bit. What's yup? confused

more_horiz
Has development stopped on this in favor of 8?
Sure would be nice to have one program do everything instead of six.

more_horiz
i had the same screen as  savale  with my first win7 x64 , then windows was in loop about setup ...So i reinstall it without AutoUnattend.xml at the rootby the way the only manner to find bugs is to add : a save-config file that can be load when launching the winreducer .something like a second-box beside the one we use for selection and creation of install disk .then a tool or a new function of the WinReducer7_x*.exe : the checking of the files installed and the registry so that will help to find the package or selection box that has a bug . it could show some green or red light beside the new second checked-box that read the save-config file . that would greatly help users to create others intalls and find bugs to catch

more_horiz
No idea what so ever what that was suppose to convey.  Question

I'm still waiting for a response to my previous post. Whats' the sense to compile a program, but have no support? Or is it that mind reading is expected?

more_horiz
your error with the gui of winreducer , should come from the fact you only configured x64 tools . i also remaster win7x64 and have configured x86 : no bug .
x64 has some x86 tools and softwares...
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum